Friday, August 18, 2006

a definition of sin; more thoughts on Islam

"Sin is not just a list of moral mistakes. It is living a life turned in on itself where people ignore the consequences of their actions." --Richard Chartes, Bishop of London, quoted in The Toronto Star.

What is it about Christianity that made it both an essential precursor to the Enlightenment and the source of white liberal guilt? I am getting the sneaking suspicion that Milton is telling us something in Paradise Lost that we all need to hear.

As a longtime Wiccan, I feel a fair amount of consternation at the way I'm writing about Christianity. I do not believe in sin, period, and haven't for decades. Yet there is something in the bishop's definition that is of value to us all, I think. Anyway, I'm still mulling over all this stuff, including the not-so-recent posts I've made.

No comments: