Saturday, September 29, 2007

There's hope for the rest of us, then.

From an interview with Freeman Dyson on Salon:

"Dyson never earned a Ph.D., but in addition to his 18 honorary degrees he has received numerous awards, ranging from the National Book Critics Circle Award for his 1984 book, "Weapons and Hope," about the nuclear threat, to the 2000 Templeton Prize for Progress in Religion. Among his six children are digital age guru Esther Dyson and science historian George Dyson."

I figured Dyson would've earned a Ph.D. Now I don't feel quite so lost having left my own doctoral program.

I haven't finished the interview yet, but it's been a good one so far. His remarks on Richard Dawkins are pointed, and while I am glad that Dawkins holds the atheist hardline in the face of bad reasoning, I acknowledge that it's sad that someone has to do it. But that's what it takes.

NB: I found this via Sensible Erection. I don't read Salon. Too precious for me.

Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: